Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sept. 16-22, 2012


 
Salutations,
 
            My name is Lauren K. Bates and I’m a senior in the department of Agricultural Education and Communication with a minor in Leadership. My specialization is in Communication and Leadership Development. I really enjoy my department. We are relatively small, which allows you to easily connect with the students and professors. Since the start of the semester, I’ve been going non-stop. I’m currently taking 12 credit hours, 6 on-campus and 6 off-campus. I also work 15-20 hours a week and hold executive offices with many different organizations on campus. This will help me to be competitive, when applying for jobs after graduation in May.

My two on campus classes are AEC 3209 – Instructional and Event Planning in Agricultural and Life Sciences instructed by Becky Raulerson and AEC 3209 – Working with People: Interpersonal Leadership Skills taught by Dr. Tony Andenoro.  Event planning has had a slow start, focusing mostly on careers in event planning, selecting event sites, site management, and the importance of understanding contracts and budgets. After this semester, I hope to have gained the knowledge and skills to plan my own event and feel confident that it will be a success. We will also learn how to assess and evaluate the effectiveness of a workshop or presentation at an event, which will be an asset in my future endeavors. 

Interpersonal Leadership is by far my favorite course this semester. I absolutely love how the class is set up, and I enjoy attending every Monday and Wednesday. This class takes a different approach to your traditional lecture. Dr. Andenoro has at least two students share a story every day. This story may be a defining moment from their lives, which has created a foundation for who they are and who they aspire to become. This exercise has really taught me not only how different we are, but also how similar I am to my classmates. I already feel so close to each one of them, and I’m excited to share my story with the class on November 19th. Another assignment will be creating our own personal leadership philosophy. Each student has to demonstrate his or her leadership philosophy by a creative alternative means, which means a paper won’t cut it! The professor explained that some students in the past have related leadership to trains, or horseback riding…and then explained how their perspectives and aspirations affected their leadership practice, effectiveness, and the effectiveness of their followers. YEAH! Some deep stuff guys! Basically, it’s by far the coolest class I’ve ever taken. If you have the chance to take Dr. Andenoro for a class…DO IT!

The other classes I’m taking are AEB 3133 Principles of Agribusiness Management and AEB 4424 Human Resources in Agribusiness both taught by Professor Jane Bachelor. They aren’t in my department, and are online. So to be honest, I’m not too excited about these courses. However, I will hand it to Ms. Bachelor for at least making an online business class somewhat interesting for a communications major like myself. She actually does Adobe sessions where you can log on and interact with her in a chat room style setting. You can ask her questions as she goes over the PowerPoint lectures and offers extra credit for watching. If you can’t log in at the time posted, the session is saved for you to view on your own time, which is really convenient for students who are busy.

What makes my major unique compared to the other majors in CALS? It really focuses on communications within agriculture. I've taken many courses that have taught me the correct way to film for broadcast news, how to create a brochure using Adobe InDesign, and many theory based courses on leadership development. My favorite classes are with Dr. Ricky Telg, who oversees the communications aspect of the major. 


Outside of school, my life has been non-stop, and I hardly have any time to even sleep. I stick to a strict schedule. I’m currently involved with Alpha Tau Alpha, a national honor fraternity for students in Agricultural Education and Communication. I’m serving as the undergraduate president. We already have a few great events lined up for this year. My sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, has just finished rush. We have inducted 44 new members into our sisterhood. As Vice President, I was very busy making sure rush ran efficiently and had to plan all the interviews with new members.  I’ve also started planning socials with my directors and our semi-formal for the end of the semester. These new pledges are really on fire for the Lord. As an officer, this is the most exciting part of my job.

I’ve also been blessed with the opportunity to serve as the Vice Chair of Chomp the Vote, which is a student initiative to help students register or update their voter information, educate students about political issues, and provide conducive measures to encourage students to vote. Besides College Republicans, I have never been given the opportunity to serve in this capacity. What makes it really special is that it’s non-partisan. I get to work side-by-side with college democrats and republicans to motivate students for the election. 

For me, life as a Gator is busy. I really enjoy every aspect of college life. I feel that I’ve gotten the most out of what the University of Florida has to offer. My words of advice…get involved! I have learned so much through involvement and life lessons that a classroom could never have taught me. I also have assembled what I believe to be an impressive resume. It is something I’m proud of and makes me excited to begin my job search in a few months. After college, I would really enjoy working as a social media analyst or a viral marketing coordinator. Thank you for your interest in the college!

“A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one, must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets tough." – Ronald Reagan

Live long and prosper.
God bless and Go Gators!


Lauren K. Bates

 

Lauren Bates
Class:
Senior
Major: Agricultural Education and Communication
Minor: Leadership


 

No comments:

Post a Comment