Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oct. 14-20, 2012


Hello!  I am a senior Food and Resource Economics major, with an Agricultural and Natural Resource Law minor.  After transferring as a junior from North Florida Community College, I was honored to be chosen as a CALS Ambassador to recruit for the College and educate others about agriculture’s significance and UF’s large contribution to the industry.  In addition, I am a member and past officer of the Agricultural Economics Club, an inductee of the Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honors Society, a student in the CALS Honors Program, and a recruiting representative of the FRE Department.  I go by John-Walt, which is often mistaken, and understandably so, for my entire name. 

When I was a new transfer student, I quickly discovered the innumerable opportunities that are so easily accessible to students at UF.  With over 900 student organizations on campus, the potential to learn new things, meet new people, and explore new places is truly limitless, even unfathomable.  However, perhaps the most important lesson I have come to understand is that as badly as I want to play an active role in all the programs in which I am interested, I realize one person simply cannot fully experience all that UF has to offer in the short time we are here as students.  Stretching yourself too thin between your studies and heavy involvement in extracurricular activities can be overwhelming, stressful, and a failing exercise.  Furthermore, to assume leadership positions in these organizations can compound the problem.

And so, this leads to JW’s Words of Wisdom:  Don’t overdo it!  Find 3, maybe 4, clubs that are of primary interest to you, and be an active member in each, even an officer in couple.  However, avoid being the person who jumps from meeting to meeting, just filling the seats, munching on free food, and not contributing time or efforts to the club’s direction.  Find a happy medium that allows you to enhance your skill set, engage in community service, study abroad, and network with fellow students, faculty, and professionals, while allowing some time for you to relax and regroup throughout the week.

I have found my happy medium by maintaining a balance between coursework and student involvement, as well as enjoying meals with a group of friends every evening and exercising to just get away from the world for an hour or two, whether it be jogging or playing tennis.

You’re probably thinking, “Listen here, J. Dubs, I don’t care what you say.  I’m gonna live it up at college!  I’m gonna take advantage of every opportunity I can!”  That was my similar mindset coming to CALS at UF as well.  But, unfortunately, UF students have finite resources (time and money) when faced with an infinite number of opportunities.  Therefore, every UF student must identify their “opportunity costs,” or the cost of foregoing the next best alternative. (I know I’m channeling my inner economist, but once you get into your respective majors, you’ll be just as enthusiastic about your field of study as I am!)  In other words, life is about choices! 

As my fellow Ambassadors can attest, we are all busy people with hectic schedules, varying interests, and diverse backgrounds.  Frankly, if we weren’t, we wouldn’t be representative of the students within the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. And, ironically, we wouldn’t be as effective and cohesive of a group.  We have charted our own paths, and made decisions in our best interests so that we can excel.  Above all, I encourage all prospective Gators to enjoy their time at UF, for these truly are the best years of your life.

I look forward to welcoming you into the Gator Nation.  Good luck and Go Gators!

John-Walt

 “Doing more things faster is no substitute for doing the right things.”
-          Stephen R. Covey

“It takes less time to do things right than to explain why you did it wrong.”
-          Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
John-Walt Boatright
Class: Senior
Hometown: Live Oak, Florida
Major: Food and Resource Economics
Minor: Agricultural and Natural Resource Law
Specialization: International Food and Resource Economics
Involvement:
Member and immediate past VP of Industry Relations, Agricultural Economics Club; Food and Resource Economics Diplomat; Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society
After College: Plans to attend law school and specialize in agriculturally related issues in the North Florida area




1 comment:

  1. I can relate! I am not yet at UF. Although I have been accepted for spring term, I still need to get out of SF alive! I will be in the FRE for Natural Resource, Environmental Economics and Policy. It is tempting to want to be part of everything that piques our interest. I am a mom of three, taking 13 credit hours of not so easy coursework, am an honors student and ambassador as well as a tutor for Pathways to Persistence and the V.P. of Scholarship for PTK AZP chapter. This semester, more than any other I have learned my limitations. I have had to scale back.
    I have learned that a leader recognizes their limitations and either declines, or delegates. As a non-traditional student who used to be a manager, it was a tough lesson to learn.
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete