Wednesday, February 27, 2013

CALS Ambassadors Want You!



The due date for CALS Ambassador applications is quickly approaching! Some students might be on the fence as to whether or not they wish to apply. One of my favorite questions I get asked is, “Seems like a lot of work. What can I get out of this program?” My answer is always the same. The program is what you make it. However, being an ambassador is more rewarding than you could ever imagine.
One of my favorite things about being an ambassador is all of the traveling opportunities. On a weekly basis we have the opportunity to travel all over the state of Florida for different events. Whether it be the Ag Hall of Fame dinner at the  Tampa State Fair, a classroom presentation in Miami, or a FFA COLT Conference in the panhandle. There are also opportunities to travel nationally. Ambassadors have attended the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, the Agriculture Future of America conference in Kansas City, and a national ambassador leadership conference in Arizona. Finally, ambassadors have the opportunity to travel to a foreign country during the summer for credit hours. This year our team will be flying down to Brazil!
I personally attended the conference in Kansas City and it opened so many doors for my future. The main focus of the conference was how to be a better leader within the various agriculture industries. During the conference they had a career fair with employers who were ready to hire on the spot. Later the same day there were break out groups with the same companies where they talked about what they were looking for in their employees along with anything else we wanted to know about the companies. Companies want to hire students from these conferences because they know these students are top notch and highly motivated. Of course these conferences are not just all work in no play. Those who flew to Arizona were able to tour many farms and see the Grand Canyon.  Not to mention you are able to network with other students from around the country and make lifetime friendships.
Speaking of networking, how many College of Agricultural and Life Sciences students personally know their deans? As an ambassador for CALS, students get to know the deans of the college on a more personal level. CALS deans are approachable, have passion for their jobs and really care about the students. Networking is huge in the agricultural industry and I have been given more opportunities to meet our industry leaders through the ambassador program. The one thing I always enjoy talking to them about is how they became successful and what obstacles they had to overcome to be where they are today. Many times it is these industry leaders who give the best advice and are most supportive of your ambitions.
The most rewarding part of being an ambassador is making an impact on the lives on middle and high school students. At that age students have a multitude a questions and it is less intimidating to talk to someone closer to their age who they can relate with. I wish that when I was their age I had been able to talk to someone who was already in my desired program. I believe it would have put my mind at ease and made for a smoother transition.
I could go on and on about why I love being an ambassador for CALS, but the three reasons above are the most important to me. Over the past year I have had the privilege to build friendships with ambassadors who have different majors within the college. Giving me a greater insight and appreciation to the diversity of our college.  Joining the ambassador family was one of the greatest decisions I have made in my undergraduate career. 
Rebecca Lee
Class: Senior
Hometown: Oviedo, Florida
Major: Agricultural Operations Management
Specialization: Animal Production Management
Minor: Management and Sales in Agribusiness
Involvement: Gator Colligate Cattlewomen Vice President, Agricultural Operations Management Club Vice President, Block and Bridle
Hobbies: spending time with family and working on the family cow/calf operation.
After College: Plans to pursue a master’s degree in Agribusiness and serve the beef industry as a sales representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment