Saturday, November 30, 2013

Advice for Applying to Graduate School

                  When I first arrived at Gainesville Regional Airport three and a half years ago with nothing but two suitcases and the phone number to a local taxi company, graduation was the furthest thing from my mind. I had four years ahead of me to make the most wonderful best friends, get addicted to caffeine, struggle my way through general chemistry, fall in love with Gator football, and ultimately discover my true passions. Now, here I am nearly four years later faced with the biggest decision of my life since I decided to become a Gator: where to attend graduate school. Of course, the first steps were easy: compile an updated resume, write a personal statement, take the GRE, Google “where should I go to grad school,” waste approximately 45 minutes looking at funny pictures of cats. But after I’d done the easy part, I realized that I now had to narrow my list of basically every graduate school in the country that offered my program down to four or five to which I would actually apply. This is when things got serious.
                  Of course, everyone will have their own criteria when choosing their ideal graduate school. Still, I can offer some advice in making this daunting decision, stemming from personal experience. First, be sure to talk to your faculty advisor. If you haven’t taken the time to get to know them yet, start now. They have worked and taught in the field that you aspire to be a professional in, and they are a perfect resource for you in your quest for a graduate program that will help you achieve the future you want. While you’re at it, talk with your professors, other faculty in your department, or local professionals who have held positions you aspire to hold yourself, achieved things you hope to achieve, or have been places you’ve always dreamed of going. They can tell you what it took for them to get where they are today.  
                  Secondly, don’t be too quick to rule out schools based on location, “rank”, or price. Sure, these are easy criteria to help you easily narrow down your initial list, but try to keep an open mind. Moving away from UF or away from home might seem terrifying and impossible, but living on your own in a new, unfamiliar place can be one of the most enriching and exciting experiences of your life. As for rank, those statistics are definitely important and should be considered for some graduate programs, but it is more important to find a program that really fits your interests at a school that meets your needs and wants. Graduate programs can be very specific and individualized, even within the same major designation, and finding one that is as unique as your career aspirations and learning interests will make you more satisfied with your choice. Lastly, when it comes to price, the bottom line is that college is expensive and it doesn’t look like it’s going to be getting any cheaper. However, before I would rule out any program based on price, I would be sure to check and see if the university offers research or teaching assistantships- something that in my personal experience I have found that colleges often do not openly advertise,. Oftentimes students who are awarded these competitive positions are able to greatly reduce the cost of graduate school, making previously-unaffordable programs affordable.
                  Finally, my last piece of advice is to start early! For programs that begin in fall, many graduate schools see the largest influx of applications in mid-to-late November through the end of January. During this period, it can take much longer for your supporting documents (transcripts, test scores, recommendation letters) to be sent and matched to your file and for your application to actually get reviewed. Applying early ensures that you will have plenty of time to send or resend missing documents and perhaps even receive a decision earlier than the majority of other applicants. Plus, no professor wants to be asked for a recommendation letter in the middle of January when your program’s deadline is February 1st. Applying early will lessen the stress associated with this big decision as well as make you look more prepared and responsible as a student and future professional.
                  Once you’ve finished all your applications, it’s time to wait! The decisions will pour in one by one, and then you’ll be faced with another big decision: which one should you pick?! I’m not quite at that stage yet, but when I get there I’ll let you know how it goes! In the meantime, good luck on your own graduate school applications and, as always, Go Gators!

- Kendra Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment