Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dec. 9-15, 2012


Hi everyone! My name is Libby Weber, and I am a senior at the University of Florida majoring in Food Science and Human Nutrition with a specialization in Nutritional Sciences. Today I just took my last two final exams, which means I am officially done with my last fall semester of college! I cannot believe I only have one semester left. However, the upcoming end to my college experience is very bittersweet. Throughout my (almost) four years at UF, I have changed and evolved so much as a person. School, extracurricular activities, work, friends, relationships – they all made me who I am today. As a freshman, I was certain I was going to medical school to become a doctor. I would not have guessed that getting a job at the vet school would convince me to make the switch and pursue veterinary medicine. At the beginning of this semester, I officially considered myself a pre-vet student. I am so happy to be past the stress of final exams for this semester, but because I changed career tracks later in my college career, my winter break will be a very busy one!

I have worked at UF’s College of Veterinary Medicine for the last year and a half. I am part of a gene therapy research project for Glycogen Storage Disease Type1a in dogs. This inherited disease results from a mutation in the enzyme needed to break down glycogen into glucose… without getting too much into the scientific background, my job is to give seven dogs with GSD strict timed feedings, as well as, oral dextrose. These dogs have to be given feedings and monitored around the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I picked up a lot of hours over the break. So, I will be spending lots of quality time with my favorite pups!

I also will be volunteering at a local veterinary clinic, as well as, a local horse farm. I will have quite a full schedule over the break. However, it is more than okay with me because I will be doing things I really love! Speaking of love…

I will be getting married to my fiancĂ©, Jason, on March 1st, 2013. I can’t even begin to tell you how EXCITED I am for this day!! We got engaged over the summer and have been wedding planning ever since between exams, work, classes, etc. Everything is finally starting to fall into place… I have my wedding dress, as well as the venue, caterer, and photographer booked. Over the break we have a tasting scheduled with the caterer to make sure our food will be delicious! We also will be taking our engagement photos (kind of late in the game… but better late than never!) in my hometown of Satellite Beach, Florida.

Jason and I will be spending Christmas in North Carolina with my parents, as well as my sister and her husband. My parents will be bringing their three little Chihuahuas and my sister will bring her two Chihuahuas. Jason and I will be adding in some variety with our Miniature Dachshund, Wallace, and a Maltese/Beagle mix named Frost (who we adopted from my job at the vet school!). Needless to say, my Christmas will be brimming with puppies. Who can ask for anything more? J

I am excited to see what my last semester in CALS has in store for me, as well as, my remaining time serving as an ambassador. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to share my experiences with prospective and current students and help them along the way. The most important thing that I’ve learned from my experiences is that it is never to late to follow your passion because once you find what truly drives you, you will be happier than you ever thought possible.

I wish you all a very Happy Holidays, as well as a Happy New Year! And as always…

GO GATORS!

Libby Weber

Libby Weber
Class: Senior
Hometown: Satellite Beach, FL
Major: Food Science and Human Nutrition
Specialization: Nutritional Sciences
Involvement: Performs undergraduate research in the Ophthalmology lab, member of the Alpha Zeta Honors Fraternity, and staff for the Glycogen Storage Disease Puppy Project
Hobbies: Spending time with family and friends, cooking, and traveling
After College: Plans to attend veterinary school

No comments:

Post a Comment