Thursday, December 6, 2012

Dec. 2-8, 2012

A brief glimpse into the mind of Bernie Green…during final’s week….

The optimal output for a perfectly competitive firm is where marginal revenue meets short-run marginal cost. There are two types of coffee bean produced in Uganda, Arabica and Robusta. Nonprofit organizations need at least three board members to be recognized by the IRS. Triohalomethanes are a byproduct of disinfecting water with chlorine; this started in the early 1900’s to reduce the level of typhoid. But triohalomethanes are bad for you! If I get an active carbon filter, I can filter them out. I need to invest in one of those. I think I can order one online, or maybe I can get one at Publix? I need to go to Publix. Wait, Trader Joe’s opens up in a week. It’s Kayla’s birthday next week, too. Will she want to go to Trader Joe’s with me? I doubt it. She’ll want to go to midtown – everybody goes to midtown for their birthday. Wait, I have a final in 12 hours. Where was I? Perfectly competitive firms? Or was it Uganda? AHHH!!!!! THAT’S IT!! I’M CALLING IT:

SKATE BREAK!!!!

That’s right ladies and gentlemen. Your eyes do not deceive you. I said skate break!

Sometimes when I’m overwhelmed with four final exams, my part-time job at the Olive Garden, my friends’ birthdays, planning weekly club meetings so we can start off next semester strong, and writing blogs for my other clubs (haha), I need to step away from reality and have a good old fashion skate break. I put on my headphones and go for a late night, 1-2 hour cruise around Gainesville. It is one of my favorite ways to destress. It gives me time to think about all the stuff that has nothing to do with my exams and get it out of my system.

I like to say I’m taking the scenic route during my extended 6-year run in college. I’ve learned how to not only balance my time accordingly, but also how to leave time available during my busy weeks to destress. I have found this to be an extremely important life lesson. In my early years of college, I was the type of student who would stay up all through the night before an exam with redbulls and 5-hour energys, because I wanted to make sure I knew every last detail about my economics or accounting exam. Since then, I have learned that is one of least effective ways for someone to study. It’s better for one to start studying two weeks before an exam. It doesn’t have to be an in depth analysis of what is going to be on the exam; just read over your notes after class every day. When I started doing this my grades improved, I felt better about myself and I didn’t look like a zombie during finals week.

Now I’m able to have a 2-hour skate break the night before an exam, just to relax. Or, I can work my normal amount of hours at work so I don’t have to deal with the rent headache that comes the week after finals week. The moral of my rant is that it’s important to leave time for oneself during the hectic weeks. In life, the hectic weeks will never stop coming, so you have to learn to work with them to make life easier. Sometimes this means you won’t be able to go out for your friends’ birthday party, but they will still be your friend the next day. And I’m sure they’ll be happy to tell you every detail after you Ace that final you had the following morning.

I hope my two cents is insightful to those whom fear the idea of finals week. It can undoubtedly be an overwhelming time, but with proper planning and preparation, it can be as smooth as skating down a hill.



Bernie Green
Class: Senior
Hometown: Naples, Fl
Major: Food and Resource Economics
Specialization: International Food and Resource Economics
Minor: International Development and Humanitarian Assistance
Involvement: Ag. Econ Club Vice President of Member Relations
Hobbies: Cooking, Reading, Multi-instrumentalist; Member of "Project Chili" a Red Hot Chili Pepper tribute band
Post-Graduation: I hope to enter graduate school, obtaining a Master's Degree in International Development Economics, and then I hope to see the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment